Friday, October 30, 2009

Comings and Goings

Funny Story of the Week:
I was help'n out with a yard sale in downtown Toccoa, trying to raise money to stop human trafficking. Well I had two really good interactions with homeless folk...or folks I thought were homeless...
The first guy was so fun! He stood at a distance and watched the commotion of the garage sale, just hanging out there, trying to figure out what we were doing. I went over there and struck a conversation with him. We started talking about human trafficking and the whole issue of justice. I got to share the gospel with him. He didn't give his live to Jesus or anything, but he did get pretty passionate about the issue. He started brainstorming ways he could help us raise money and end child prostitution. I loved this guy! He was ready to go! He was appalled by the statistics and was willing to spend his day asking folks to support the cause, even send money to missionaries over seas who are willing to give their life to save children. It spoke to me. This man was ready to stand for something. Within all of us is a desire to protect the weak because we're created in the image of God and that's His heart beating in our chest.
Then I met my second "homeless" friend. We talked, behind the dumpster for awhile, told him about the Lord's love for the poor, about prayer and hope and all that is good. I really liked him. He shared his story. That's when i found out he wasn't homeless at all. He's probably makes more money than me, dumpster diving and selling his findings to pawn shops. Oh well. It was a good try.


So October has been wonderful! Several challenges but way too many blessing to override them. The month started off with a bang when a group of friends and I drove up to Lee University in Cleveland (is that right?) Tennessee for an all day worship and prayer service. We went to check out what the Lord was doing up north (funny that TN is north now) and were completely taken off guard. An explosion of joy, freedom and deliverance was hitting the auditorium when we arrived. Six hours later and after the shofars had blown we started back home refreshed and restored in spirit.
Back to work in Athens for a week of prayer meetings and babysitting followed by a weekend in Savannah with the roommates. Then I was off to Florida to learn about Alpha with the Campus America team. Orlando went well, lots of good info on how to lead a group discussion for friends who want to talk about Jesus but don’t want to feel forced to get saved, lots on cultivating trust, safety and confidence (talk about stuff I love learning about!) Funny thing happened in FL, though. I found out I really love Athens. And I found out I care about Athens, which is a huge answer to prayer. I’ve struggle in times of transition in the past, but this move has been the smoothest ever!
God’s really been moving across our state as well. Campus America things are going well. This weekend a groups of friends from TFC and I are traveling down to Savannah for their day of prayer during Halloween. This group of Jesus loving friends down south is incredible! So full of the word and hungry for their city and campuses to be awakened to Love!
Next month is looking busy, but in a wonderful way, more babysitting than I’ve ever done with a GA state gathering smack dap in the middle! Friends from a several campuses are going to be coming together to talk about 24/7 and brainstorm vision for 2010. We’ll wait on the Lord and listen for his plans for the coming year. If you can’t tell I’m completely excited about it and really asking the Lord to draw us together in unity. I’d love for you to pray with us in that!
So that’s most of October for ya. Like I said, Athens is slowly becoming the puzzle that I most naturally fit in. My roommates are wonderful and I find rest and peace coming home to girls who love the Lord in a deep way. Look for my November update. With so much on the horizon it should be crazy awesome….

No comments:

Post a Comment